What is a high power resistor load bank? Basically, it’s a resistive load bank used in the testing of emergency power generation equipment, including electrical generators, uninterruptible power supplies, turbines and battery systems. They can be used during initial facility commissioning or for ongoing testing and maintenance.These load banks are most commonly used to test electrical circuits for power quality and capacity. But, high power resistor load banks also provide for reactive power to simulate large motors.
- Resistive load banks and mimic the operational load that a power source will see in actual use. They convert electrical energy (current) into heat using power resistors and dissipate the heat using air or water.
- Reactive load banks simulate systems affected by electric motors or other electromagnetic devices on a power network. Reactive load banks can simulate either an inductive or capacitive load depending on the type of load expected on the power system. Examples of devices producing reactive/inductive loads include motors, transformers and chokes. Reactive/capacitive load testing is used in applications requiring heavy inductive loads and/or power factor correction, such as in the manufacturing and mining industries.
- Resistive/Reactive load banks combine both resistive and reactive elements in one load bank package. Resistive/reactive loads are able to mimic motor loads and electromagnetic devices within a power system, as well as provide purely resistive loads by allowing to set a specific power factor.
- Using a resistive/reactive load bank enables comprehensive testing from a single unit. Resistive/reactive load banks are great choices for testing turbines, switchgear, rotary UPS, generators and UPS systems. They can also be used for integrated system testing of utility substation protection systems.
- Resistive load banks come in power capacities to serve large and small applications. The most experienced load bank suppliers will offer resistive load banks ranging in capacities from 1 kilowatt to 5000 kilowatts with voltage ratings of 120V up to 13.8kV.
Download Comrent’s Latest eBook…For a detailed discussion on load bank solutions and building commissioning, download Comrent’s latest eBook – “Using Load Bank Solutions to Optimize Building Commissioning.” This resource discusses the commissioning process and how it is used to validate that the installation and operation of new equipment is performing as required before it supports a critical load.Comrent’s team of experts is ready to help ensure your system is successfully commissioned. We are offering a complimentary consultation to review your project and propose the right load bank solution for your requirements. Contact us today.