Solar PV power plants must test each operational element of the inverters and solar modules to be properly commissioned and connected to the grid. Testing quickly helps to meet production deadlines and begin producing commercial power. However, successfully finalizing the power plant commissioning can be difficult with connection delays or other issues.
For example, deadlines involving contracts and tax incentives, as well as scheduling engineer witness testing, can delay the process. When the utility grid test is involved, utililies often schedule their engineers to conduct a witness test, which can cause additional delays to the overall project schedule.
ComRent can provide a witness testing alternative to avoid these scheduling issues and finalize commissioning.
ComRent’s Solution – Test with Load Banks to Speed Commissioning
ComRent provides validation of protection system and commissioning solutions for electric distribution utilities, renewable energy, and industrial markets using load banks. If critical elements are delayed, load banks can certify construction completion for rate base additions/capitalizations when the customer site is not yet ready for energization. Load banks, in practice, test all elements of a completed system once installed and deliver improved reliability and availability.
ComRent provides trained technicians and specialized monitoring equipment to observe and report on required power systems tests and solar module tests. Our service solution saves utilities critical engineering labor, provides credible documentation and allows for trouble shooting before the system is energized.
Advantages of Witness Testing
Witness testing for solar PV power plants provides many advantages, including:
- Reduce the reliance on utility engineer availability and allowing your construction and commissioning schedule to move forward within budget.
- Provide documentation that the required solar module tests were performed and the system met the requirements outlined in the utility guides and IEEE 1547.1 Interconnection test procedures.
- Simplify the pre-grid testing by making it an on-demand process. You gain greater control over your load testing schedule and can test at any time.
- Accelerate the testing schedule for quicker time-to-revenue. If you must wait for the grid to test your solar PV power plant, you will incur more time and costs.
- Adhere to contractual obligations and avoiding penalties from utilities. Witness testing lets you supply power within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Ensure solar PV power plants are tested completely to operational specifications and validating system performance.
- Meet qualifying deadlines for federal and state renewable energy production tax credits.
Solar PV power plant commissioning requires consistency, flexibility, and reliability.
ComRent provides extensive experience with grid emulation load bank and generator solutions for solar PV power plant commissioning.
Download ComRent’s Latest eBook
For a detailed discussion on utility commissioning, download ComRent’s latest eBook – “Understanding the Commissioning Process for Utility Systems.”
This resource discusses the importance of following established standards and proven processes during utility commissioning. Learn how successful commissioning can lead to greater control, more efficient operations and lower costs.
ComRent’s team of experts is ready to help you successfully commission your system. We offer a complimentary consultation to review your project and propose the right load bank solution for your requirements. Contact us today.