Grid emulation provides a temporary system at the site of the substation or point of connection to the utility. In this application, specialty diesel generators, resistive load banks, reactive load banks, isolation switchgear and specialty cables are run to the site to simulate the grid. In alternative power system applications (wind or solar PV), these tests ensure proper functionality, as well as disconnection and reconnection to the grid.
The benefits of grid emulation include:
- Reduce the reliance on grid availability and allow your construction and commissioning schedule to move forward within budget.
- Simplify pre-grid testing by making it an on-demand process. You gain greater control over your load testing schedule and can test at any time.
- Accelerate the testing schedule to fast-track the time-to-revenue. If you must wait for the grid to test your solar and wind farm, you will incur more time and costs.
- Adhere to contractual obligations and avoiding penalties from utilities. Load bank testing lets you supply power within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Validate system performance by ensuring solar PV and wind farm power systems are tested completely to operational specifications.
- Meet qualifying deadlines for federal and state renewable energy production tax credits.
Download ComRent’s Latest eBook
For a detailed discussion on utility commissioning, download ComRent’s latest eBook – “Understanding the Commissioning Process for Utility Systems.”
This resource discusses the importance of following established standards and proven processes during utility commissioning. It will explain how successful commissioning can lead to greater control, more efficient operations and lower costs.
ComRent’s team of experts is ready to help ensure your system is commissioned successfully. We offer a complimentary consultation to review your project and propose the right load bank solution for your requirements. Contact us today.